Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Builder


That's me setting slate in the downstairs at our Lake Chelan house.  What used to be a respectable career is now a trade that is mostly unemployed.  I've done it all from the concrete to the roofing and everything in between but if this is your only means of income you could be in trouble.  Take a good look, it's not a pretty sight with a sore back, knees, bad hearing, and busted knuckles.  That's not even the worst of it.  Without a good education today, you'll wake up looking at some scank that's so ugly she could stop a clock and guess what,  that's the best you'll ever do.  All your friends will come from low places but they are the most fun,  I know because I've met um all.  Stay in school not only to have a better chance in today's job market but that's where all the babes are.   I got lucky 30 years ago working as a journeyman pressman before being a general contractor.  With only 2 years of college, I had something to fall back on, but the building market was hot and I always had work. Those days might be gone.

No comments: