Sunday, May 17, 2009

One Bad Step




The day started out good but then I made a mistake. Helping out my neighbor rebuild his deck I had an armload of decking material and stepped on a joist that I thought I'd nailed and it fell through. So down I went through the deck hitting a joist with my right ribcage and onward to the rocks below. This picture shows the joist framing that I did, and I stepped on the only one that I failed to nail. So there I lay catching my breath, and glad that I had my knee pads on. I was sure that I broke a rib so I dragged my stupid self up and finished the job in about two hours, had lunch and went to the local hospital. I was really hurting when I was driving in but the staff took good care of me. I had ex rays and a shot in the rear for the pain. After the shot kicked in I was able to pay more attention to the cute PA taking care of me. I ended up with 3 broken ribs and a concern of liver damage. So in I went for a C/T scan, and of course I had my camera ready for a picture, but with my pants down around my knees I didn't want to offend my readers. The liver was OK but still a chance of pneumonia and a collapsed lung because I couldn't breath very well. So here I'm sucking in air through an Incentive barometer to keep my lungs clear. The doctor said that I should be off work for a week. I'm sure that means with full pay and benefits. Wait until my neighbor gets the bill. Get Well cards with a little money will really help my recovery. Please don't worry about me, it only hurts when I breathe in or breathe out. I'll be OK

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least the job got done before you took a break, no in fact you had a break when you were crawling back up from your rest on the beach.

Good work!

-dan

Anonymous said...

No, really...you need to renegtiate your labor contract so you can get medical help immediately if you suspect you broke more than (1) rib.

me again

coogrrr said...

You wuss. Sure it gets a bit warm and you find a way to take some time off..
I remember the last house I did with Mike D, and the same thing happened to me. The kicker was I was carrying a 3/4" plywood above my head and when I went down, it too came down and hit me in the head just for added insult.

Get yourself better and get back to work.. Simpathy is for losers