Friday, November 9, 2012

York, England

 



The city of York is located in the center of England about 2 hours north of London on the train.  The city of 200,000 was founded 71 AD by the Romans but has evidence that people settled there between 7 and 8,000 BC.  That is a really long time ago.  In the earily years York was a major wool trading center and later a huge railway hub.  The city is rich with historic actactions, the most prominent being the York Minster Cathedral.  I do like this English history and have been taking advantage of the senior rail discounts and off peak cheaper train tickets.  Check out the family owned 2 star B & B I stayed at called the Wheatlands Lodge.  For 35 pounds I got a single cot with breakfast and tea served.  I was also invited to have dinner there served at 6 pm sharp.  The food suited me just fine.   Not exactly a honeymoon suite but for the money it was a bargin.

No comments: